Sunday, April 8, 2018

13: When Life Throws You a Curveball...


This week was planned. My EEE classes were going to work on research, learn about soil textures, and take their cumulative exam. My animal science class had finally hit the poultry unit and would have guest speakers to talk about contract growing and vertical integration.

On Wednesday morning I woke up to the text message from my Dad that my grandmother had passed away. Of course this is something that I hadn't planned for. I drove to school with a heavy heart and tried to figure out how the rest of the week was going to play out. I am so glad that my student teaching experience has taught me the fine tuned art of adaptability and preparation.

The key from this week is that because I had better planned I am able to be at home with my family helping them to make it through this tough time while they do the same for me. It has been a few days and things haven't gotten any easier as I watch my Dad cope with this loss. The moral of the story is that planning ahead can make your life much easier when you can't use "Plan A." I feel that some days we make it all the way to "Plan Y" before anything seems to work out. AND THAT IS OKAY.

Planning and preparation will be something that I continue to hone in during my upcoming years and would love to have any advice that you, my reader, can share with me.

4 comments:

  1. Angie I am sorry to hear about your loss. I am glad that you planned well and were able to be home! I hope you start to have your mind at peace! Planning is something I struggle with as I hone in on one thing for to long and loose track of time to work on other things. Keep your head up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother, but am glad that you were able to go home to be with family during this difficult time. The life of an ag teacher is fraught with curveballs and when you have planned and prepared well, as you did this week, you are better equipped to deal with them and not strike out. You should be proud of your ability to do these things successfully so early on in the game, and I hope they continue to help you hit home runs in tough situations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so right that an emergency family leave doesn't allow for much time to get things ready so you can be with family. NAAE COP has some great suggestions for emergency lesson plans.

    "I alone know the plans I have for you, plans to bring you prosperity and not disaster, plans to bring about the future you hope for" Jeremiah 29:11 Continued thoughts with you and the family

    ReplyDelete