Sunday, April 1, 2018

12: Taking Care of Yourself

R & R

Teachers. Work. Hard. 

With the holiday of Easter being this week, our time in the classroom was shortened significantly. This provided me the chance to head home for the weekend and spend some quality time with my family on the farm. We moved the cattle, sorted some lambs, built steer pens, and played with some puppies. It really has been a lovely weekend thus far and there are now only a few short hours to Easter dinner! (I can't wait for some ham!!)

I know that as a reader you may be wondering why I am telling you all of this... Here is why. Ag teachers are some of the hardest working people that I know. Teachers invest their entire being into their job and students. Teacher burnout is real! As ag teachers, we need to remember to think about ourselves sometimes. Do not feel ashamed that you need a break. Know when to take some time for yourself so that you can keep conquering the world as a super teacher. Now, I am not saying to put aside all of your responsibilities. I am simply saying to make your health and wellbeing a priority. If that means waiting to do your lessons until Sunday night, then so be it. Get a little bit of R & R so that you can be a better teacher! I hope to remember this as I get started in this profession. I hope to one day be a veteran ag teacher and I know that in order to do that, I must take care of myself first.

4 comments:

  1. Love it.

    100% agree.

    Proud of you. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 100% true! Always make time for the things that TRULY matter. The hardest word for a good teacher to learn is "no," but it's essential to keeping us mentally and professionally healthy and growing!

    I'm bummed that the snow messed up your chance to come out to TV to spend some time. I would still love to try if you have the time in your schedule! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie, so well said! Its good to see that you understand the importance of giving yourself a break and making time for things and people that matter. The personal/professional balance is key!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The most important tool in your teacher toolbox is you and your well being. You must have an implemented plan to keep yourself healthy physically and mentally on a professional and personal level.

    ReplyDelete