Monday, February 12, 2018

Professional Gardening as Professional Development

Mrs. Seibert, Megan, and myself in the conservatory.
Today's Horticulture Symposium at Longwood Gardens

Many people know that I pride myself in being a lifelong learner. Others also know that I enjoy gardening throughout the spring and the summer. Although I consider myself well versed in the area of animal science, I find that I love plant science as well and want to know more about it.

I was lucky enough to have a student who received a scholarship to attend this symposium at Longwood Gardens which meant that I got to go! It was a lovely day filled with plants and flowers and insects. We heard from international gardeners, collegiate professors, and graduates of the Longwood Professional Gardener Program. I must say that I learned many things about finding insects in your garden and around you and I also also learned that wild flowers have a seed bank to make sure that they do not go extinct. I was also amazed to find that vanilla beans come from the vanilla orchid!

As I follow the path along my TeachAg journey, I plan to continue with my professional development. I fully believe that never passing up the opportunity to learn will allow me to better myself and therefore better the classes that I teach my students.

Never stop growing!

We had fun finding plants with fun textures.

2 comments:

  1. Being an Animal Science major like Angie, it has been a 33 year adventure learning from the plant science masters about the horticulture industry. No better place than Longwood Gardens! We are blessed to have so many professionals willing to share their knowledge and skills. Just like our students the best way to try out and retain our new found skills it by doing them in our home and school gardens. What a great career choice it has been-TEACH Ag-Ed

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie, what an awesome experience for you to have! Longwood Gardens is a fascinating place. What was your favorite moment from your trip?

    ReplyDelete