Saturday, March 10, 2018

9: Re-Writing a Course

Have you ever seen cattle tags used for
organization?
This week I took on a new task. I have already taught one round of our 23 day Environment Ecology class and decided that it would flow better with things moved around some new things added. Allow me to say...this is NO simple task. Writing and re-organizing a class is intense work that takes a lot of time, focus, and patience. Simply making handouts to fit the changes takes hours!

I feel so much better about timing and pacing and how many days lessons may take now that I am out here in the classroom everyday. It's the small steps that I am constantly amazed by. I feel as working together with my cooperating teacher on this reorganization is a great experience and will help when when I am developing curriculum myself (maybe even as early as May)! The practice is appreciated. Personally I think that one of the coolest things about being an ag teacher is the ability to change our curriculum when we see a way for it to better benefit the students. Core subjects do not have that liberty. I am also glad that I have spotted some places for change. Intelligent and driven individuals realize that after doing something one time, they should change for the better before the next. It is insanity to think that just because something was designed or done one way that it has to stay that way. I am grateful for the awesome educators that I am surrounded by each day and their belief in my ability. They have been and continue to be some of the best guides that I have ever had.

Do you have any suggestions for me as I take on this challenging re-organization? Any help is always appreciated.

4 comments:

  1. With PDE changing their emphasis from Keystone Testing to Career Portfolios Angie had some great discussion with me of how to tweak our required 9th grade Enviro Sci class to help students better reflect on the days lessons and to journal what career options they may tie in to the content. The process was kind of like the little kids game where you slide plastic squares around to create a pictures. We will give the new layout and worksheets a whirl and tweak it as needed in term 4 when we teach the class two more times. Will share these ideas with the CASE NRE folks :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie, so glad to hear you were able to participate in a curriculum revision process. You are exactly right. As educators we must constantly be reflecting on whether we are teaching something the best way we possibly can. As you review past lessons, I recommend writing down (in some detail) the great ideas that pop into your head. Often we can't get to making those revisions while it is still fresh in our mind. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie, so awesome that you are getting to write and implement curriculum during your internship. One of the beneficial things about getting to test it out with multiple groups of students is seeing what works, what doesn't, and how things can be moved/modified. It is helpful to take notes during the process to help you further refine and develop until you have a finished product that you are satisfied with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Change is fantastic!! I have rewritten units and courses several times. This year I'm writing brand new curriculum for a course. Calling it a challenge is an understatement! I really like how you had the actual pages that you were moving around. I'm like this as well. One thing that helps me is to "begin with the end in mind." At the end of the lesson what do I want students to do or accomplish? From there I can work back to build concepts from the big concept. That helps in determining what is needed and what is just "fluff!" When you've been teaching for many years, it's nice to shake things up and move things around - keeps you from getting bored as well! Learning this skill early is so essential for staying a relevant teacher. Good for you! Looking forward to seeing you later this month! :)

    ReplyDelete