Saturday, March 3, 2018

8: "Next Generation Day"

Our schedule for the day!

The Manheim FFA Chapter had the amazing opportunity this Friday (3/2) to take a great group of students to the Farm and Home Center for the county speaking contests and a few workshops and some speakers. This was awesome! 


I was a judge and interviewer for Red Rose "Star Awards" which was a great learning opportunity. I listened to five students share their hard work and growth over three years of a production SAE. My fellow judges were Deb Seibert and Stephen Geib who made the judging experience quite fun to say the least. I gained a sense of what interviewing looks like from the other side of the interview table which may be helpful to me in the upcoming weeks! After analyzing our scores we called the five competitors back in to give them our remarks and tell them who the winner and runner up were. We had all good things to say as these FFA members have clearly worked hard on their projects and are going to continue to do great things.

Manheim FFA Members "try" to take a non-serious photo
While we were judging Star Awards, the other students were listening to a great motivational speaker and heading in and out of rooms to compete in creed, senior prepared, junior prepared, and extemporaneous speeches. 

After lunch students had the option to pick one out of three workshops: Precision Ag, Plant Science, or Animal Science. I participated in the Precision Ag workshop where new ways of using technology to advance crop production were shared with the audience. 

Following our workshops, everyone was gathered back together so that we could hear the results of today's contests. I am proud to say that Miss Reilly, one of my students, won first place in the creed speaking contest and will be heading to regionals! It was a wonderful way to spend a Friday. 

8 comments:

  1. Angie,
    Thanks for sharing, but I am going to push you to articulate one thing more...what from this week/this experience will you carry forward for use as a 1st year teacher?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would have to say that spending time with Reilly and helping her to prepare to compete in the creed speaking contest taught me how to work with students who are prepping for that contest. I also learned what it takes to prepare my students for the Keystone Degree. Thirdly, I will certainly take the following thought with me... Some students may never compete. Some students will compete and never win. As an owl I need to realize when to push harder and when I've pushed hard enough. All students are a valuable asset to an ag program just as an ag program should be a valuable asset to ALL students! These are just a few things that I've pinned onto my lapel to take with me to my first year as an ag teacher.

      Delete
    2. Man - THAT is an awesome reflection:)

      Delete
  2. Hi Angie
    Thanks for helping with Red Rose interviews! Since the state degree application is used it's a really great way to check in with our juniors and make sure they are on target to meet the state degree requirements next year. Congrats to your creed speaker! What can you do now to ensure she is prepared for June?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One of Deb's favorite quotes is "Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect." I think we will keep on practicing! Adding distraction control exercises that I learned about in livestock judging. We also need to practice on questions!

      Delete
  3. Angie, glad that this was such a positive experience for you! What was the most useful takeaway that you got from being a judge? Congratulations on your student doing so well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I leaned about nervous interview tendencies and know that moving forward I will need to combat these. Crutch words and eye contact will lower the interviewers opinion of you quickly. In the future I hope to prepare my students for interviews so that they exude confidence!

      Delete
  4. This day was a great experience for our Lancaster FFA members and our teachers. The county FFA officers and FFA advisors went above and beyond in working with our Farm and Home Foundation and our agri businessmen. As a new teacher you will need to do just that-create a network of professionals, industry experts and community leaders to guide you in your teaching endeavors and preparing curriculum. Call when you need help in your new school!

    ReplyDelete