Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Unit Plan: Gems and Opps

Reflection On My First Unit Plan


http://blog.gradeable.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/teachers-end-of-school-year.jpg
This is my first attempt at writing a unit plan! I took the bull by the horns and dove into writing it. I must say that it contains a lot of information and I was not sure whether the flow of the lessons, topics of the lessons, and time of the lessons. I am now in the process of revising my unit plan so that it can better serve my class and prepare them for careers in the dairy industry as well as the different CDEs that it applies to.

Gems

  • My unit plan is very organized and has all of the needed information on it. 
  • I feel that although I am an "animal science guru" dairy is my LEAST comfortable species. I researched what needs included when teaching information about dairy systems and will continue to become comfortable with the content as I move forward. 

Opps

  • My objectives for each day could benefit from some altering. SMART objectives are key in utilizing your days to their fullest potential. Since writing my plan our AEE 412: Methods class has learned about objectives that facilitate action. 
  • Adding more statistical data to my "reasoning" for this unit can be a benefit
  • As mentioned above, I'm not a dairy expert. Asking some of my peers about the industry and what they think about my plan might be useful as I move forward. 


Moving forward my hope is to become stronger and more confident in the decisions that are made when planning a unit and the lessons that are contained. I will keep you updated as to how it goes as I continue along my #TeachAg journey. 




3 comments:

  1. Angie, there are lots of ag teachers and other professionals out there who would be happy to help you with dairy info. I also recommend searching the topic on CoP and checking out Georgia Ag Ed and Purdue 4-H for ideas. Glad to see that you want to strive for SMART objectives in your unit plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the owls! I completely agree dairy is not my strong point but, we are learning and achieving! You organized this post very well and it was easy to follow! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Angie. I look forward to seeing the unit plan.

    I would suggest perhaps exploring how to link the Unit Plan here? Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete