Sunday, September 10, 2017

#AEE412 Sunday Reflections 3

Program Planning 101: Planning to Succeed


I just love when multiple classes share a common theme at the same time! This past week in both #AEE412 and #AEE413 we learned about the importance of program planning and how your curriculum connects to the rest of your program. Currently my focus is on lesson plans and where to start!

Today I am spending my time writing a lesson plan and a unit plan. It does seem like a great deal of thought and planning must go into just one lesson! Now, I image all of the veteran teachers reading this and laughing as they say "Duh!" Remember I'm just getting started and am attempting to figure out my organization style of a lesson plan and how to fit standards as well as write clearly stated objectives. It's all new to me! 

Beginning with an end in mind is the advice that I have heard repeated the most. Think about what you want your students to learn and be able to do and then decide how you're going to get them to reach that goal. I feel that the approach to unit planning is similar as well. My hope is that I will figure out a way to create my unit plan and lesson plans with objectives that will satisfy what my students need to know based off of industry standards and local need. I am utilizing resources given to me in class and those I have found on my own.

Check out the Missouri Program Planning Handbook that I have linked below. Its a cool resource that I feel breaks down many aspects of a program and provides help in understanding why Ag teachers must have many aspects included in a successful program. Also check out the Strategies for Effective Lesson Planning from Michigan. They break down the steps they think should be taken very nicely.

Do you have any advice or suggestions to help me in starting my planning?

_____________________________________________________________

References:

Agricultural Education Program Planning Handbook for Missouri Schools. (n.d.). Retrieved September 10, 2017, from http://dass.missouri.edu/aged/resources/handbook/

Newcomb, L.H., McCracken, J.D., Warmbrod, J.R., & Whittington, M.S. (1993). Methods of teaching agriculture. Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Prentice Hall.

Strategies for Effective Lesson Planning. (n.d.). Retrieved September 10, 2017, from http://www.crlt.umich.edu/gsis/p2_5

7 comments:

  1. Angie, Move Program Planning 101 into the title (not just the body)

    GREAT job of finding other resources that you can refer back to and use in multiple classes.

    Keep doing great work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Angie, your honest and willingness to learn is awesome! Thanks for sharing that great resource!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie, thanks for sharing the resource. If you check out my blog, I also have a resource from the California State University about planning purposeful instruction for agriculture education!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your so excited and it is AWESOME!! Keep it up! I also like that you mentioned what your resources were!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Angie - I liked your reminder of always begin with the end in mind, we hear this repeated over and over again this semester. Also, the resource you found and shared is pretty awesome and connected to this reading well.

    ReplyDelete