Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Reflection #3: The Hidden Lives of Learners

Welcome back to part three of three in my reflection of The Hidden Lives of Learners by Graham Nuthall.

Chapter 5: "How students learn from the variety of their experiences"

Once again the word "variety" peeks out at us in this chapter. A large focus was once again the way that students need three encounters with a piece of content to incorporate it into their stored knowledge. It is crucial to remember that not all students will come into your classroom on day one and have the same prior or existing knowledge. Recognize their starting level and work your hardest to raise their bar of knowledge no matter where they start out. After all we are trying to make the best better! (shoutout to my 4-H friends out there) I realize that I have yet to take my methods class but I already realize the importance of variety in the classroom. I can't wait to actually learn how to use variations in my lessons because I've read about it and have gotten excited! 

Chapter 6: "Ethnic differences and learning"

Looking back on my experiences with Agricultural and Extension Education in the past year I have been involved in many discussions about diversity in the classroom. While reading this chapter I was reminded about the necessity of recruiting and retaining a population in your classes that represent the demographics of your school. Many times children who are in the minority do not feel welcome or comfortable with a group of students, the majority of which are different than themselves. In the book we were presented a few examples where students would use an individuals differences such as their accent or ethnicity to bully them in a more personal way. When I enter the classroom I aim to create an inclusive environment where students will not be worried about whether their differences make them stand out but can focus entirely on learning and growing as individuals. 

Chapter 7: "Teaching for learning: a summary"

This chapter was the first to be written by Mr. Nuthall's colleagues after his death. It served as a summary of what the reader has gained from the book. Following is a list of a few recent key lessons I am taking away from my time spent reading the final third of this book.

1) Learning is highly individualized and can come from teacher directed and student directed experiences.

2) Inquiry based instruction (although not referred to directly in the book) will create lifelong learners who are able to direct themselves and utilize problem-solving skills.

3) Include everyone in your classroom whether they be a minority through their race, IEP status, or popularity peer group. If you notice that they are being bullied make sure to do something about it ensuring that you follow th policy of the school. 


I would like to thank you all for following along with my take on The Hidden Lives of Learners by Graham Nuthall. May we all continue reading for professional development and become better educators because of our efforts! 

7 comments:

  1. Great analysis of the final chapters as well as the overall themes of the book! What you have identified as the important concepts of the book will be very helpful once you are in the classroom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! To gain things that I can use down the road was my super objective in reading this book.

      Delete
  2. Three great points to take away from the reading.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angie,
    Lets try to keep this mindset of inclusion of #AgEd4All at the forefront as we discuss designing educational experiences this fall!

    These are attitudes that can be develop by action and call for more than platitudes, but rather purposeful planning for success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The start of the semester is only a few short days away. I can't wait!

      Delete
  4. Reading this book together over the summer gave us time to reflect on educational philosophies and insight. This last part of the book classroom management areas that we sometime don't "around too" . Will try my best to work through some of these with you this spring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Its going to be a whirlwind of an experience.

      Delete