Sunday, August 27, 2017

#AEE412 Sunday Reflections 1



John Wayne once said, "Courage is being scared to death...and saddling up anyway." This is an accurate representation of current  feelings about my #TeachAg journey. Am I scared? Yes. Am I here to cinch that saddle and ride for a full 8 seconds? Heck yes! I was casually reminded about my culmination of feelings while completing this weeks readings. Here is my take:

The first thing that I noticed while reading Newcomb is that teaching high school agriculture is neither a walk in the park nor a piece of cake. That seems to be common knowledge to almost anyone I talk to. I am running full speed ahead to prepare for student teaching this upcoming Spring and it is difficult. Deadlines, acronyms, technology, lesson and unit plans, variety...its scary. Scary like being a Jeopardy contestant and realizing that you forgot to put on pants after you got on the stage. At this point in time I have no idea what I don't know. Sometimes I have to take a breath and remember that I am not the only one that feels this way. I am almost certain that the other members of my cohort feel this struggle as well. We want to tackle it all and be wonderful educators that make no mistakes. This is not feasible. I WILL make mistakes but I will grow from them! Yeah you might have to face palm when you accidentally address an email wrong or pick yourself up off the floor when you underestimated how long a project would take to complete with a due date rapidly approaching. When teaching we will bomb lesson plans or freeze when figuring out how to take disciplinary action in a situation. Heres the key: Clarity will come, our teaching will get better, we will eventually memorize all of the Ag Ed acronyms. Right now we should put some elbow grease into getting things done and trying our best because we have the greatest support system imaginable. Through our professors, virtual mentor network, PAAE members, and PSU Ag Ed alumni the answers to our questions are a phone call or email away. 

Finally, remember what Wong said, the first day of school is very important in setting the tone for the rest of the year. When something is important enough to give you butterflies you really care. I would guess that even professional Ag teachers get butterflies on the first day of school. Its a good thing! I care about the future of agricultural education in high schools across this country. I know that this year won't be easy just as  being a teacher in a classroom after graduation won't be either. However, I'm like The Duke who never backs down from the challenge of a good fight. 

7 comments:

  1. Angie

    Well done. Some might say pandering by starting of with the Duke, but keep that coming (Jk on the pandering thing).

    As we use this tool to help us develop a professional portfolio/digital library of resources, be sure to include APA citations of the assigned reading at the bottom of the blog as well as the citation for the "new resource" you are brining to the table.

    Finally, be sure to read/comment on your peers blogs!

    See me at AEE recitation if questions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can prove I'm not pandering. :) Sounds great. I'll be sure to include citations!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Angela,

    As a CTE Program Manager now, I work with our Agriscience Educators. You mentioned many of the same fears I overcame at the beginning of my #TeachAg journey and the ones three of my teachers are experiencing right now! Here's the cool part...you're not alone. By building a professional network of those who are in your shoes, those who've worn your shoes, and those that wear boots (people who are not necessarily #TeachAg educators), you will be in a greater place to succeed. Building a strong relationship with your supervisor (like my role) is so important. Fortunately, I get to be the guy to remind my teachers about their deadlines, help with technology and curriculum, and really, just support where they need it.

    Keep it up, Duke!

    -JG

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Mr. Grove! I can't tell you how nice it is to have you as support on my team.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a 32 year teacher I have the very same anxiety and worries you do coming into student teaching as I started this new school year. 300+ new kids and 6 different preps during the upcoming school year with mountains of expectations from all directions. You will be FINE in your ag teacher endeavors. You have lots of support and sometimes falling down and getting backup is not all that bad. As John would say: When the Road Looks Rough Ahead, Remember the Man Upstairs and the Word Hope. Hang Onto Both and Tough It Out.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was mentioned in class that the "butterflies" we get in our stomachs are a sign that we care. Caring about our occupation and the students that we are teaching is never a bad thing. I'm toughing it out and trying to grow as a student myself.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Favorite Duke quote EVER!!! You put it all on the table but, it WILL be a good semester and look it is going well!

    ReplyDelete