Sunday, March 18, 2018

10: Do You Have a Halter?

Warning: This post contains MANY pictures!

This week we spent more than one evening traveling around to the homes of students as well as the locations that they keep their livestock. The goal was to tag their beef and dairy beef projects for this year's Manheim Farm Show that will take place in October. 

Of course you all know that I come from a 4-H background as opposed to an FFA one but I am familiar with tagging livestock for the fair and also on my home farm with an identification routine in mind. Now yes, we did tag livestock...17 head to be exact. But why am I spending time writing a reflection about this?

Here is why...
  • I believe in the power of the "home visit." These students were very proud to show us their SAE projects. We connected with them and in some cases their parents. In a total program the teacher works tirelessly to include all students and make them feel valued every day. I can proudly say that I see this with the ag teachers at Manheim Central. We tagged the steers but we also engaged in talking about classes, where students work, what they've been doing with their calves. We provided some feedback on their animals and talked about BMPs or as they're more commonly known Best Management Practices. 
  • I will try my hardest to visit every one of my students at home or at work. SAEs are a vital part of the 3-circle model. Creating a bond with students and their families can only lead to great things for an ag program. As a new teacher this will also provide a wonderful way to get to know the community and the agriculture surrounding it!
Now for all of the pictures...

Ciara and her Charloais influence steer.

Such a cute picture of Ashlea and her dairy steer. 
Becca holding her dairy calf for a
quick photo.
Daniele with her steer.
Justin with his steer.
Steph holding her dairy steer as
it is tagged.

2 comments:

  1. Angie, thanks for sharing your experience and for all the great pictures! Is there a specific ID tagging system that the students have to follow for the fair? What paperwork do they need to do to ensure their animals are eligible for the fair?

    ReplyDelete
  2. To this day I STILL remember what my ag teacher told 35 years ago about improving my management practices when he visited our farm and my SAE flock of Cheviot sheep, capons, veal calves and laying hens. He was never very fond of sheep but my senior year with his guidance I won the state diversified livestock proficiency. I followed his advice and I improved the quality and quantity of my SAE. I really enjoyed having Angie ride along last week and offer suggestions to our students on the farm just like Mr. Putnam did with me... Can't wait to visit with Angie at her new school to hear how her student SAE projects grow with her OWL wise advise.

    ReplyDelete