Saturday, November 18, 2017

Micro-teaching at Bellwood-Antis

Teaching. Is. Hard. 

That was how I felt on Wednesday, November 15th after teaching a class of high school juniors and seniors for the second day in a row. I had observed the class on Monday and planned to teach them about resumes and cover letters.

Monday

My first day at Bellwood-Antis High School, I was solely there to observe. As it came time for period 7 which was the period I would be teaching, I anxiously awaited for students to come through the door. When they started walking in my eyes widened as I realized out of 16 students, two were girls and 14 were boys. It was at this moment as I heard their playful banter back and forth that I realized I had my work cut out for me. 

Tuesday

On day two I was ready to teach. I thought that I would conquer the world and I basically did. We had a lot of fun and I got to know the students and dissect some of their mannerisms and personalities. Two students were absent which I knew would add some extra planning the following day but it went very well overall.

Wednesday

Day 3 at BAHS was not my finest hour. While I entered class with the same enthusiasm my mood quickly shifted as the class decided talking overtop of me for 45 minutes. I was not upset with them for talking because we all did that in high school and some of us even do that now in college. I was mostly upset with myself. I felt like a broken record as I kept saying, "Eyes on me." and "Okay, guys. Listen up!" I asked the class to email me whatever portion of their resume they had done by 8pm and the class ended. Sadly my feelings must have shone through to my face as my observer told me afterwards that I looked extremely frustrated. I left the school and felt rather beside myself for the rest of the evening. 

Thursday

My request from the day prior was not taken seriously and out of twelve students that were present on Wednesday, only four had sent me their resumes. I gave them honest and encouraging feedback in a written form and bought the four of them Boston Creme filled donuts. I tried a new tactic for the chatting and stood at the front of the room in silence until the students paid attention to me. It seemed to work out and I had a marvelous day. I had fun throughout the class period and was sad to hear the bell ring and realize that I wouldn't be working with this group of kids anymore.

I am glad that I chose to micro-teach at Bellwood-Antis. I believe that I learned a lot while I was there not only about real high school classes but also about management techniques.
Me, Ms. Becker, and Miss Fisher after
our micro-teaching.
PS.  I gave the students an exit survey before I left and I'm glad to say that many students were happy with my performance. All of them responded that they were satisfied or very satisfied with my time spent teaching them. Some of their suggestions for improvements were to slow down because I went too fast, to be more laid back and funny, and to do more walking activities. I will gladly take their criticisms with a grain of salt. 

1 comment:

  1. Angie, you turned a negative day 1 in to a positive success story for micro teaching! What are some other techniques you can use to help reduce chattiness besides just standing and waiting? Rewarding hard work proved to be a good strategy for you. Did it motivate the rest of the class to finish their resumes?

    ReplyDelete